Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A solution

I cut the borders for my little log cabin quilt last night and thought the little pile of scraps on the coffee table looked kind of cute. They're now in my new header. A little grainy, but, I think, better than the standard text header.

Today I have a solution to a problem some of you might have in your decorating efforts: the ugly laundry room sink.

I love my house, but the laundry room is not the best part of it. Linoleum floors, stock white laminate cabinets, and, worst of all, the plastic, beige, UGLY sink!

So, here's what I did:



1. Measure the width, as well as height from the floor on both the front and sides of the sink.
2. Purchase both self-stick and sew-on hook and loop fastener (Velcro) to run wall to wall around the front and sides of the sink.
3. Make a panel for each of the two sides, as well as the front according to your measurements, i.e. 3 panels.
4. Also make two panels, 7" wide by the height of the sink for the corners. These are the floral ones in the photos.
5. Lay the 3 big panels face down on the floor side by side, touching each other.

6. Lay the 2 smaller panels on top, face down as well.

7. Pin the soft layer of the sew-on Velcro across the top of this and sew it on. REMEMBER: this is all on the "wrong" side of the fabric.

8. Stick the hard part of the self-stick Velcro to the top of the sink, along the rim.
9. Affix your fabric panel to the sink, and Voila!, the sink is covered, looks much better, and, bonus!, you can store stuff under it unseen.

2 comments:

  1. wow! that looks fabulous...what a great solution.
    how did you change your banner? I still haven't figured that out, so if you wouldn't mind, I would love any tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I just couldn't stand looking at that thing every day...
    I'll email you the link for changing the banner. I had quite a time of it myself.

    ReplyDelete